CALL US NOW : +1-800-445-2620
Forums
SharpE :: Forums :: SharpE :: SharpE - Component/Plugin/Addon Feature Request   << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Making certain programs always appear in certain virtual windows
      >>  
Moderators: Billi Berserker, pixol, silentpyjamas
Author Post
Shandolad
Mon Jan 23 2006, 03:53AM
Registered Member #842
:
One thing I'd really like to see is the option to make certain applications always open in certain windows.

For example, I'm currently using one VW for messaging programs, one for the internet browser, one for winamp and so on. This way I can structure my computer usage much better, and keep every desktop free from unnecessary clutter.

If one added the ability to always make, for example, Firefox appear in VW3 and winamp in VW2 and so on, one (I) wouldn't have to plan where to open which windows. It doesn't sound like much of a hassle, to plan the windows, but I think about it every time I open a new application. I don't know, might that be possible?

Thanks for the effort you put into making SharpE!
Private Message
starling
Tue Jan 24 2006, 02:15AM

Registered Member #541
:
u know u can move windows around all the desktops by dragging the boxes in the VWM. I know it's not perfect but is handy.
it would be good to have a 'always open on desktop #' option and 'send to desktop #' on window menus.

Private Message
Shandolad
Tue Jan 24 2006, 02:21PM
Registered Member #842
:
starling said ...
u know u can move windows around all the desktops by dragging the boxes in the VWM. I know it's not perfect but is handy.

Yep, I knew that. But that's not really what I was discussing, is it? A handy feature, none the less.
Private Message
Dwazzue
Sun Jan 29 2006, 08:42PM

Registered Member #507
:
can you stick them there with the sticky feature? I run dual monitors and the programs that I stick to a window always open in that window... but I have never tried to open them while in another vwm that is not on the monitors themselves.....

It\'s My environment I will make it the way I want.

Who is anyone to tell me what it should look like!
Private Message
starling
Mon Jan 30 2006, 02:40AM

Registered Member #541
:
Dwazzue said ...
can you stick them there with the sticky feature? I run dual monitors and the programs that I stick to a window always open in that window... but I have never tried to open them while in another vwm that is not on the monitors themselves.....

i really doubt that would work. i think the VWM shows and hides windows rather than actually changing desktops. In any case other programs wont recognise the desktops so you need a feature built into the VWM.

Private Message
Dwazzue
Mon Jan 30 2006, 11:29AM

Registered Member #507
:
Yeah Sticky does not work... I just tried it on my laptop... Nice for me if using dual monitors but just keeps the item on the current screen if you are using single.... My miss interpetation of "sticky" I figured it meant stick to that VHM... but I only run 2 VHM on my destop anyways...

It\'s My environment I will make it the way I want.

Who is anyone to tell me what it should look like!
Private Message
blueapples
Mon Jan 30 2006, 11:38AM
The Honorable Dr. Rev.

Registered Member #33
:
Viper is doing a rewrite of all his apps (one of which is VWM) so perhaps this can make it into there. I can't speak for him of course.
Private Message
Viper
Mon Jan 30 2006, 06:28PM

Registered Member #163
:
You know, adding all this stuff makes SharpVWM get complex.

The send to option is cool. I know, they have something like it in Linux. Basically, there needs to be a service "maybe" that runs and adds this option to each windows' system menu. So, it should sit outside of SharpVWM & send messages to it.

The stay on this desktop option, hum. I guess, saving that info can be easily done. Another XML file like the sticky stuff. I don't know, if I like this one though. What if you tell it you want IE on desktop 1 always. But, you're working on Desktop 4 and really want a IE window there. You open it. Now, you have to stop working, switch to Desktop 1 and do the send to option (if it's there later), or minimize it, switch to Desktop 4 and restore it. I understand, the original request and reasoning for it. Just as a developer, we're taught to think about work flow and reducing the amount of work to get something done. this one is a double edged sword. It could reduce the amount of work or double it. I might add something like this in the next revision, but I'm not promising anything.

Definately would have to have another service that would service it. Probably, needs to service SharpTask also. Which will probably be happening anyway. We have a SharpTray service. So, we should have a SharpTask service.

Also, keep in mind. This is a very important time for SharpE. It's going thru some major changes, all for the good. We've got some mile stones to get over first.
Private Message
starling
Tue Jan 31 2006, 02:19AM

Registered Member #541
:
would it do the job to be able to assign hotkeys to the 'send to desktop' service? so u open the program and hit ctrl+alt+3 (or something) to send it to desktop 3.

Private Message
pixol
Tue Jan 31 2006, 02:40AM
Pixolated

Registered Member #3
:
This would be possible, you would just need to get the active window and send the message to the task service using the service messaging

Pixol - pixol@sharpe-shell.org
Lead developer of SharpCore + Core Services
Private Message
      >>  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF