CALL US NOW : +1-800-445-2620
Forums
SharpE :: Forums :: SharpE :: SharpChildren   << Previous thread | Next thread >>
[moved] getting a SharpHeadache trying to figure something out?
      >>  
Moderators: Billi Berserker, pixol, version, blueapples, silentpyjamas
Author Post
silentpyjamas
Tue Sep 06 2005, 03:04PM
ninja sleepwear

Registered Member #162
:
hello users.

i'm silentpyjamas, the cheerleader dev, and i'm here requesting the help of one and all.

remember the first time you loaded SharpE, perhaps you waited with excitement as your pc hummed along happily, starting up. but once you signed into windows it got weird, why, it didn't look anything like your old desktop at all! oh no! where were your desktop icons? your pretty color scheme? the start menu? what were you to do?

clearly, if you're still using SharpE, you made it through that bit of culture shock. trust me, i went through it too (and sometimes still do but don't tell the guys). now i have a favor to ask of you all.

i'd like you to tell me, if you can, what did you find most complicated? what do you find most complicated? i'm still hung up on all those menu choices in SharpTheme. maybe you just had a tough time getting started, or it took you forever to figure out how to create and customize a desktop object. if so, please just reply to this thread and let me know. this very moment we are working to make SharpE more accessible to everyone, and first that means we have to find out, in user language, what's confusing, unclear, and just plain hard.

give me this, users, and i will give you in return, glorious documentation! i vow this upon my afro puffs. boy do i ever.
[ Edited ]

-email-
shaking my pom poms for SharpE

Private Message
CodenomicsJester
Tue Sep 06 2005, 04:12PM

Registered Member #505
:
Well, i have played with a bunch of shells and OSs so i was ready for anything. But, im sure that noobs to the shell-life might be conefused by the lack of start bar and right clicking for the main menu. I like how it is, but thought i would throw that out there.
I am actually installing #e on my other slower PC and i will tell you if i can think of anything! TTYL

Man go in the cage
Cage go in the salsa
Shark in the salsa
Salsa Shark
Private Message
Dwazzue
Tue Sep 06 2005, 05:52PM

Registered Member #507
:
I thought that #E installed very easily. Actually easier than most of the other shells replacements that are out there. I have tried alot of them in the past as well.

I did try to do the carapace install with my #E and all that did was cause #E to ask to be the default shell every time it loaded until I told it to be so.

The one thing I find the most difficult was figuring out what was where and how to customize the #e menu

I think that the system tray being on the left instead of the right on your initial intro to #E can be confusing. Especially when alot of icons there match icons in the quickstart portion of the #E taskbar.

It\'s My environment I will make it the way I want.

Who is anyone to tell me what it should look like!
Private Message
CodenomicsJester
Tue Sep 06 2005, 07:24PM

Registered Member #505
:
I have to agree with the systray/quick launch comment. The biggest issue that i can think of when i firwst installed #E, is that i wanted to see what all it could visually do.... and yet i couldnt get anymore themes or icon sets..... If people are coming from XP they might have an issue with the fact that #E isnt "pretty", no special menu effects etc. I had an issue with it but i think that im stuck with the basic cleanliness now! lol

Man go in the cage
Cage go in the salsa
Shark in the salsa
Salsa Shark
Private Message
version
Tue Sep 06 2005, 07:55PM
3.o

Registered Member #10
:
I did try to do the carapace install with my #E and all that did was cause #E to ask to be the default shell every time it loaded until I told it to be so.

Right click SharpCore icon (Blue icon in tray) >> Settings >> Untick Set as Default shell.

Now if Carapace is the default shell SharpE will load fine.

The biggest issue that i can think of when i firwst installed #E, is that i wanted to see what all it could visually do.... and yet i couldnt get anymore themes or icon sets..... If people are coming from XP they might have an issue with the fact that #E isnt "pretty", no special menu effects etc.

heh. Thats the beauty of SharpE though. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to create themes for SharpE. Choose a wallpaper, create a color scheme to match your wallpaper, then find some icons you like and you have a fully pledged SharpE theme. Couldn't be easier

I find it funny you think that XP menus are 'pretty' because i thought the opposite. I use SharpE so i dont have to see all the 'dull' useless animations XP throws at you.

version - -email-
Docs Writer, Tester, gfx, Support and 'ideas provider'

SharpE, a delightful meal morning, noon and night.
version@3.o
Private Message
Soul
Wed Sep 07 2005, 12:40AM
Registered Member #55
:
adding in icons isnt very easy though is it? I thought that involved editing an xml file....

I've used a lot of shells so having to right click on the desktop wasnt much shock. but maybe by default the sharpebar could have the button that you press to get the menu up. forgotten what plugin that is
Private Message
CodenomicsJester
Wed Sep 07 2005, 02:32PM

Registered Member #505
:
I havent figured out how to get other icon sets yet.... and i dont think that XP is pretty, if i did i wouldnt have explored..... but what i am saying is that the general public is confy with it and they like it.
I was speaking about themes like litestep, aston etc.

Man go in the cage
Cage go in the salsa
Shark in the salsa
Salsa Shark
Private Message
pixol
Thu Sep 08 2005, 02:10AM
Pixolated

Registered Member #3
:
BB is working on something that will make installing/removing theme elements a breeze. Which is opening the way for theme elements hosted on our site.

Pixol - pixol@sharpe-shell.org
Lead developer of SharpCore + Core Services
Private Message
silentpyjamas
Thu Sep 08 2005, 09:15PM
ninja sleepwear

Registered Member #162
:
i need more people telling me more things they found complicated. got a little project i'm working on.

-email-
shaking my pom poms for SharpE

Private Message
starkraving
Mon Sep 12 2005, 10:53AM

Registered Member #7
:
If it was somehow possible to auto-import your desktop objects into #desk, that would go a long way.

Also, have the pStart plugin setup by default for #bar, that way they can access their start menu that way until they pick up on the right-click.

One last thing, this is more for early-adopters who have been installing all the CVS versions as they get released. I would loooove it if somehow the installer in the latest version would be able to bring in my previous settings. Like if I don't have sharpVWM set to auto-load, or my desktop positions for the other components, or my existing #desk objects, custom theme etc... It only takes a few minutes to recreate all those things, but it's a PITA :p
Private Message
      >>  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF