CALL US NOW : +1-800-445-2620
Forums
SharpEnviro, an open source shell replacement for Windows :: Forums :: SharpE Beta :: Feedback

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
First time using SharpE - Wow & Questions
Moderators: Billi Berserker, pixol, Malx, blueapples, captainhérisson, silentpyjamas, glacialfury, mc, wrtpeeps
Author Post
Stephan
Tue Feb 17 2009, 05:05AM
Registered Member #2349
Greetings
I installed SharpE yesterday and really like it. I played around with the SharpCenter and many settings so far. Now I have to say: That's my new shell. Thank you people.

I searched for something like this a long time and can't wait to see the new TD6 release (I use 0.75 TD5). By the way it is not easy to find SharpEnviro at least it was for me.

Anyhow I've got some questions:

1. I tried to get rid of the borders of maximized windows. The borders on the left & right side don't appear but top & bottom borders always stay visible. So I looked in the SharpCenter under 'Desktop'. It's not there but I think it could be because it would be a logical place. I finally found it under 'Services | Shell | DeskArea'. I tried negative values with & without automated mode but had no success.
*Addition: If I disable the DeskArea via Actions the borders are gone. Nedless to say that the taskbar is just visible if it is always on top but in that case the windows are cropped.

2. I read about a bug with the settings of the clock. If you change the 'text format' settings the 'apply' and 'cancel' buttons are greyed out and you have to change something else to reactivate them. Just wanted to say I also have this bug (using Windows XP Pro 32bit).

3. On one of my bars I aligned the Taskbar to the right. Is it possible to have the 'minimize/restore' buttons on the right side of the tasks if the bar is aligned right?

4. I removed the quicklaunch menu in the SharpCenter under 'Menu Management' and wondered why it is still visible in the bar. Of course it's still visible because there is its entry in the Toolbar Management. I find it a bit confusing to split the Menu configuration into different sections. But that's just my thoughts.

One last thing an I'm through...

5. If I switch the bars to 'always on top' and drag a window behind them. It is not visible through the bars. I thought it has to be because the bar blurs the background image and also should do so with everything else. Maybe I'm missing something.

For now I just hope you get my english (I'm not a native speaker) and get my thoughts. I'm looking forward to get some answers.

Stay tuned.

Stephan

[ Edited Tue Feb 17 2009, 03:53PM ]

sometimes it is the best: not to say anything...
Billi Berserker
Tue Feb 17 2009, 06:40AM

Registered Member #1
1. If you mean to actually remove the borders of windows then this isn't possible unless you use another XP/Vista theme (has nothing to do with SharpE) which does this for maximized windows

2. already fixed in TD6

3. not yet
but it might be something worth adding. Will try to remember to add this...

5. The bars are using "real" transparency. It's just a fake achieved by copying this part of the wallpaper into the bars. That's why windows hehind it won't show. Not much we could and will do about this

BB - -email-
Lead developer (SharpBar, SharpDesk, SharpTheme, Skin System,)
Stephan
Tue Feb 17 2009, 12:02PM
Registered Member #2349
Billi Berserker wrote ...

1. If you mean to actually remove the borders of windows then this isn't possible unless you use another XP/Vista theme (has nothing to do with SharpE) which does this for maximized windows

I know that themes for XP have nothing to do with #E. What I mean is that if you maximize a window in XP the borders are cut off automatically. It's normal Windows behaviour. SharpE should also do this. It works for the left & right window borders but the top & bottom borders are visible and they shouldn't.
I made a screenshot where you can see a window with borders and a maximized window well with half the borders

[ image disabled ]

It is not that obvious but the grey border on top & bottom of firefox window is what I'm talking about.

Billi Berserker wrote ...

5. The bars are using "real" transparency. It's just a fake achieved by copying this part of the wallpaper into the bars. That's why windows hehind it won't show. Not much we could and will do about this

What a pity. But then why are the 'right-click' menus working with transparancy? Or is this also fake? If it is it's brilliant.

[ Edited Tue Feb 17 2009, 12:25PM ]

sometimes it is the best: not to say anything...
Billi Berserker
Tue Feb 17 2009, 02:39PM

Registered Member #1
Ah ok now I see what you mean with the border. I have been using Vista for too long (there a theme has a different design when maximized).
Still, we can't really do anything about this,
what you can try is making the bars always on top, setting the desktop area to automated mode and adjusting it by -1 to -3 pixels on top and bottom. This should hide the borders behind the always on top bars.

Sorry about the transparency explanation, I messed that one up a bit. What I meant is that the bars are NOT using real transparency. It's just the window of the bar where parts of the wallpaper are painted as background. That's why also the right click menus on the bar are working

BB - -email-
Lead developer (SharpBar, SharpDesk, SharpTheme, Skin System,)

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF